Complete the DS-82 Application
- Complete and print 1 copy (Single-Sided Only) of the online Government Passport Application Form DS-82
- Ensure bar codes (DS-82 B) are located at the bottom right hand corner of pages 1 & 2
NOTE: Hand-written application forms are not permitted.
Prepare the passport photo
- Download the mobile app Passport Photo Creator.
- Take photos and upload to the app.
- Print out the photos at a local drug store. Ex: Walgreens
The photo must be in color, and 2 x 2 inches. The background of the photo must be white.
The photo must be taken professionally and within the past six months.
Do not wear uniforms, headgear, or white shirts.
Do not wear glasses - they are no longer allowed in passport photos.
Expired or Expiring U.S. Passport
- Include the expired/expiring passport with the documents.
The passport must be in good condition and issued for 10 years.
Damaged passports will not be accepted.
Pay government fees
- Decide if you would like to purchase a Passport Book or a Book and a Card
- Write a check payable to the "US Department of State"
- Ensure that the applicant's full name and date of birth is written in the memo section of the check or money order
- The amount of the check will be either $170 for the Passport Book only or $200 for a Book and Card.
- A pre-printed name and address must be located in the upper left-hand corner of the check. It cannot be a starter or a temporary check.
Prepare the travel itinerary
This will be required for any country that requires a visa.
- Ensure the itinerary and DS-82 application dates match and include the applicant's name
The most commonly used itineraries are airline, cruise & hotel reservations.
A Business Letter on Original Company Letterhead can be used in lieu of a travel itinerary.
Complete the letter of authorization
This letter gives RushMyPassport permission to represent you at the U.S. Department of State
- Ensure that the courier company name is printed as it appears at the top of that page.
Hand print and sign in black ink only.
Overnight Pre-paid Shipping Label
- Print this label and place on the outside of an overnight shipping envelope
The pre-paid overnight shipping label is included in the Step 2 email, along with the Letter of Authorization form.
Review Important Notes
A passport can only be renewed if it has been issued for 10 years and it has not been greater than 15 years since its issuance date. Please inspect your passport prior to submitting your order.
Be meticulous about your application, any mistakes will have to be redone and can lead to delays in processing your passport renewal.